[CentOS] CentOS and SL, together?

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

thebs413 at earthlink.net
Sun May 29 00:37:20 UTC 2005

> Righto ... no JRE redistributes in CentOS ... that is not allowed :)
> They also have mp3 stuff ... also not allowed :)

If you want an example of what I consider "ignorance," that's it right there.
Someone who asks, "why doesn't Red Hat include X," won't get grief.
But people who say, "I use Y because it includes X and Red Hat does not,"
sorry, that's starting to play into that game.

I have a rule at my clients:  "No Linux CDs are allowed into the building until
they are approved -- especially _not_ Knoppix."  Why?  Because I have to
verify they are "pure" Linux and not an indemnification nightmare.

> For CentOS-3.x  you can get GFS (and RH ClusterSuite) here:
> http://bender.it.swin.edu.au/centos-3/
> (there is no GFS/RHCS for RHEL-4 (or CentOS-4) yet)

BTW, I haven't looked yet, is Netscape Directory Server available for
CentOS?  You can get it from the RHN (as well as the "technology
preview"), just wondering if it's available for CentOS from another source.

> OpenAFS:  I'll have to look at the license that it is released under ...
> that might be able to be in Extras ... someone want to maintain it :)

IBM's IPL, yet another GPL-incompatible license along with IBM's CPL.
People claim I have an "agenda" against IBM.  No, but I _do_ have an
"agenda" to get people to realize that they should hold IBM up against
the same standard (and "agenda") they have against Sun.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

Now the last time I checked, Red Hat did include the OpenAFS client
in the kernel -- at least GPL portions (the history of AFS is a little
interest).  The OpenAFS server is user-space, so there is not a licensing
issue there.

I typically just download and build the full IPL licensed client/server from
OpenAFS, despite the licensing issues.  If it's for private use, you can
do this per the GPL -- you just can't redistribute anything that isn't
GPL compatible linked against GPL (which is what I make my clients
aware of).

BTW.  If people think "ignorance" is a "harsh word," understand when you
are "ignorant" as a consulting engineer with a Professional Engineering
license, the term becomes "Professsional Negligence" with the same,
_liability_ as an MD.  ;->

So I tend to avoid "ignorance" and care about little details.  ;->

> Correct ... Pine is non-free license, won't be built for CentOS-4 :)

But remember, it's Red Hat's fault.  ;->

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org