[CentOS] Newbie Query about Centos: where it is going...

Sanjay Arora

sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Mon May 30 13:45:56 UTC 2005

On 5/30/05, Simon Perreault <nomis80 at lqt.ca> wrote:

> How can you ask that when you're not paying anything for it? This assurance
> has some value, and that's what Red Hat is selling.

Why can't I? Open Source is all about choices. I was using
RedHat...would have gone to Fedora but they were too fast ..as far as
release issues were concerned...So, I had a choice to make...go
debian, slackware.

And then there was the option of having RedHat clones...of having
RedHat minus support cost. I made my choice. All I had to do was to
find a vibrant RHES clone community and join.

The direction of the base distro was a major issue. I did not want any
major problems with production servers...so the Centos policy of RHES
only base distro is good as far as I am concerned. If I opt for
extras...I know I have got to do extra testing...or bear the blame! My
personal box is always Fedora, updated weekly and I enjoy tweaking
things when they breakdown but that can't do for production servers.

As another poster suggested, RedHat can be sued...I have neither
intentions, nor time nor money to persue that with RedHat or anyone
else.

With best regards.
Sanjay.