[CentOS] real used RAM!

Maciej Żenczykowski

maze at cela.pl
Mon May 30 14:15:07 UTC 2005

If looking at top, then you can usually assume that free memory
is roughly a little less than 'free + buffers + cached'.

free is not used at all - this is memory being wasted by the system,
thus is usually kept minimized (just enough to prevent deadlocks)

buffers can usually be flushed to disk or dropped

cached is the disk cache and can also be dropped

but even then part of the remaining used memory
is readonly-file-backed (for example executables)
and can also be dropped (in low memory situations)...

I'd guess the proper answer is that if it works nicely
then you have enough RAM :) if it doesn't - you need more.

Cheers,
MaZe.