[CentOS] CentOS 4 Software Raid1 questions

Mon May 2 13:17:11 UTC 2005
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca>

Lee Parmeter wrote:
> I did not mark the parition type to FD so apparently the
> kernel or mdadm just executes and looks in the ndadm.conf
> file.
>
> When trying to start the raid manually, I found that the
> raid would fail unless I passed the partion assignments on
> the commandline to mdadm. However, when the DEVICE and
> ARRAY are defined in the mdadm.conf, the partion info was
> not required, just the device name, "/dev/md0". So, I think
> the raid failed to start at boot due to not enough
> information being available for it to startup, thus the
> mdadm.conf file being required.
>
> Anyway, that's what my experince told me!

OK, but have you attempted to mark the partition as type fd (linux raid
autodetect)?  My guess is, if you did, the kernel would bring it up as
soon as raid* device drivers are loaded.  The information in superblocks
at the end of each partition should be more than enough.