[CentOS] CentOS 4 Software Raid1 questions

Mon May 2 17:52:34 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 08:53, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> The only solution to these problems on Linux is to boot into single user
> and wipe out any and all information that Linux kernel is not supposed
> to see.  And then when you have those things sorted out, attempt normal
> boot.  No way around it.  Frankly, what is kernel supposed to do when it
> reads conflicting information from the disc?  It's like when you ask for
> directions and one person tells you go right, and the other go left.
> Obviously, you'll can follow directions from either first or second
> person, or sit in the middle of intersection.

I don't expect the kernel to be able to guess which conflicting
label to use, or which set of disks become which md devices.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any documentation on
how the md detection is supposed to work or how to provide the
right info for the kernel when you are planning to move a set.
There are times when it would be really useful to be able to
pre-load them on a different box in order to have minimal downtime
during the swap.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com