[CentOS] Compiling Kernel Modules

Wed May 4 10:09:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 17:01 +1000, John Newbigin wrote:
> Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:
>

> > Well anyway, if anyone wants a reiserfs module for CentOS 4, I'll have it
> > built by the end of today...
> This is the kind of thing that could go in CentOS Plus.  Someone would
> have to step up to build it and decide what goes into the package.
>
> If they were built as addon RPM's then that might work well, but that is
> what GFS uses and it is a pain in the butt to maintain because GFS is
> also tied to specific userspace versions which don't coexist (though
> they reckon they have fixed that now).
>
> John.

I am looking at this, and I can build the basic reiserfs (and jfs,
ntfs ... having issues with xfs though). The problem is that reiserfs
and XFS require other parts of the kernel tree other than just their own
directory in the fs part of the tree due to selinux and quotas, etc. so
I don't have a releasable version that works with selinux.

Maybe in a couple weeks I might have something ... but Karanbir Singh
and I are also working on CentOS-4.1 (i386 / x86_64) and developing a
working CentOS-4.x on ppc64.