[CentOS] New kernel causes kernel panic/unable to mount root

Fri May 6 15:34:03 UTC 2005
Martyn Drake <martyn at drake.org.uk>

Matt Dainty wrote on 06 May 2005 16:22:

> If it was, it sounds like you need to install that driver and rebuild
> the initrd for the newer kernel.

That's what I'm thinking, given the difference in size between the old
kernel's initrd and the new kernel's initrd - the old kernel's precompiled
initrd is significantly larger..

> Check /etc/mod(ules|probe).conf for an "alias scsi_hostadapter ..."
> line. You should be able to find the module referenced in the
> /lib/modules directory of the old kernel, if it doesn't exist in the
> modules directory of the new kernel, it's walked somehow, I don't
> think it would be removed from a newer kernel update.

No entry exists for the module in modules.conf, and I've checked for
sata_sil in both old and new /lib/modules directories and it exists in both
kernel versions.

Regards,

	Martyn