[CentOS] Hardware RAID Controller

Tue May 10 20:56:41 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Ahhh, thanx for the insight.
I never liked their use of lackluster i960 33MHz and 66MHz parts.
You're lucky if you get 60MBps out of them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Finn�s <spamcatcher at lantrix.no>
Sent: May 10, 2005 3:55 PM
To: CentOS mailing list <centos at centos.org>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Hardware RAID Controller

centos-bounces at centos.org wrote on 10.05.2005 22:44:54:

> Well, that's because 98% of Promise's products sold are FRAID
> (Fake/Free RAID).

The card I had in mind was the "real" RAID cards, i.e the SX6000. It was
ok while RH8 was the standard and you didn't need to compile a new kernel
(ie. you could use the Promise-supplied driver disks). They also had
driver source for 2.4 which worked ok as long as you booted from another
device and loaded the driver as a module.

And actually, the SX6000 worked with the I2O drivers for a little while
with a patch supplied by Alan Cox, but after a few kernel updates I gave
up on it.

I was in contact with Promise support about one year ago, and they told me
that they had 2.6 drivers in beta, and that they would inform me when it
became available. Needless to say, there's still no 2.6 drivers posted on
their download pages.

Well, enough bitchin for now... :)

Regards,
Harald