[CentOS] Re: Hardware RAID Controller -- not a "bug"

Wed May 11 20:46:30 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>
> I'm in the midst of testing a dual 9500-12 based system, and I've got all
> sorts of results (I posted tiobench numbers for XFS and ext3 recently).

Until the Escalade 9500S series matures, I've been recommending the following:

3Ware Escalade 7506/8506 for RAID-10.
3Ware Escalade 7506/8506 for RAID-5 when it is largely a read-only setup.
LSI Logic MegaRAID SATA 300-8X (XScale) for RAID-5.

Unless you absolutely need the maximum disk efficiency of RAID-5, or
you have 99% reads (e.g., typical MySQL Internet server), then RAID-10
is often far better than RAID-5.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org