[CentOS] CentOS Live?

Wed May 11 22:33:23 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 16:12, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > I've just read this news (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02638) - in
> > my opinion very good idea. What do you think?
> >

> I was looking at that :)
>
> Question is ... does it really serve a purpose?
>
> The purpose of the distro is to install on servers and workstations.  A
> live CD doesn't do that.  Knoppix is very good in this market, so I
> think the usefulness is limited.

Some live CDs do have an 'install to hard disk' feature - then you
pull in anything else you need from remote repositories.

> BUT ... one good thing it would do is allow you an easy way to see if
> your hardware works without downloading the whole shebang ... which is a
> positive.

Yes, this is the real value.  It give you a 'seeing is believing' view
of whether it works in your machine and which software versions are
supplied with which bugs fixed *before* you have to overwrite your
working system.

> We may look at doing this after CentOS-4.1 is done and I have some of
> the automated scripts working the way I want.

If you can make the iso-building script public, it might also be
useful for others to build application demos.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com