[CentOS] CentOS affiliation

Thu May 12 22:49:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 17:38 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
<snip>

> Doesn't matter at all concerning CentOS releases, updates, developers,
> etc.  This has been the case for almost 2 months (since March 20th) ...
> you will notice that CentOS is no longer listed on the www.caosity.org
> site.  See the first post on the announce list:
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2005-March/000001.html
>
> The CentOS Project is operating as it was from a technology standpoint.
> As you can see by the speed of our updates and the speed with which we
> released our 4.0 distro, CentOS has never been stronger.
>
> There were issues of size required for the mirrors, who controls what
> servers, who makes decisions on which items are in the tree, when will
> certain point releases be retired, etc.  We (the CentOS Project) felt
> that CentOS user's best interests would be served if Lance Davis were
> running the CentOS show.
>
> The issues with the upstream provider and how to respond:
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=66
>
> were just the last in many issues where decisions for the project were
> being made without what we considered enough input from the developers.
> So, CentOS and the cAos foundation have gone in different directions.
>
> The innovations that you currently see happening in CentOS (a desktop
> type kernel, single CD installers, CentOSPlus items that are integrated
> tightly with the base distro) will continue for those who want these
> innovations ... but remove the extras, contrib, centosplus repositories
> and CentOS will still be a rock solid Enterprise rebuild that is
> completely free, released as soon as humanly possible, rapidly updated,
> and technically compatible {down to the same bugs :)} with the upstream
> product.

> The short answer ... you will notice no impact :)

And ... just for the record again, I want to make sure that everyone
understands that I am not saying anything negative about anyone at the
cAos Foundation.  They are nice people and have good products.  I think
the cinch installer is very nice ... as is Warewulf. cAos-2 is a fine
distro, try it out.

It was just time for them to do what is best for cAos and us to do what
is best for CentOS.