[CentOS] named server

Tue May 17 17:17:10 UTC 2005
Steve Huff <shuff at vecna.org>

On May 17, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> No ... it won't normally be faster to use your ISP's DNS first ...
>
> You will ask it a question ... it will ask the main server ... then
> reply to you.  If you ask yourself, it will cut out the middle man :)

i don't believe that's necessarily a correct deduction.  cutting out
the middle man is not always good; if you ask your ISP's nameserver,
your ISP's nameserver will quite likely be able to supply you with
accurate cached information (especially if you're trying to resolve a
commonly used hostname), thus reducing the overall load on the root
servers.  i doubt you'll see a significant difference, but you'll be
doing everyone else a favor.

-steve

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v