[CentOS] RE: check permissions of all my files!

Wed May 18 14:26:41 UTC 2005
Shawn M. Jones <smj at littleprojects.org>

israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:

><SNIP>
>I mean, How do I know if some of my users changed the original
>permissions of any of my files?
>I mean, How do I know if my files have the correct
>(original)permissions?
>
>I'd like, if it's possible,  some kind of report daily by email or in
>some log file with this information...?
>
>Tripwire do that? </SNIP>

Sounds like you're looking something akin to a Host-based Intrusion
Detection System.

Try AIDE:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide.html

This tool can check for changed permissions and/or contents as well.
It's pretty easy to set up. The sourcecode is a bit hairy though.

Or, if you want something more advanced, go with Samhain:
http://la-samhna.de/samhain/

The last time I tried to use Tripwire on RHEL it wouldn't compile. My
understanding is that open source development on that tool stopped.

Hope this helps,

Shawn M. Jones