[CentOS] Re: mplayer repository for CentOS

Fri May 20 16:37:11 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

From: William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>
> considering the FUD fedora talks about mixing repositories.

It's not FUD, it's an issue with Debian as well.

>From what I've seen, for the most part, as long as you pick one or the
other repository, you're okay.  E.g., either DAG or FE+Lorg.

One of the reasons for the greater Fedora Project (outside of the Fedora
Core name change and trademark issues) was the continued sprawling
of repositories.  Fedora Extras was supposed to address this, but even
I'll admit that it seemed a little too much "you're on your own" in the
first 18 months of its existance.  I.e., the former U of Hawaii Fedora
Project didn't do much to help anyone but their own, existing project
set, and the new Livna.ORG repository fork (for legal reasons).

But as of this year, there is now a formal submittal process.  And being a
software engineer myself with a lot of experience in formal lifecycle
and testing, I kinda prefer the quality I see out of Red Hat's regression
and other testing.  Maybe it's because I had horrors with FreshRPMS before
I switched to Fedora.US (before Red Hat's involvement), and instantly
saw many issues go away.

But FE/Lorg seems to have everything I want.  Only a couple times have
I tapped DAG, and then I only did it temporarily in my APT/YUM files to
avoid "repository mixing" issues anytime I did an upgrade later.

BTW, just so everyone know, this e-mail was _not_ to argue the merits
of "which repository is better / sucks."  I was just interested in finding
out if anyone is like me, tapping FE/Lorg, or if most everyone is just using
DAG.  That's all.  I might try a few systems under test and see how it
all goes.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org