[CentOS] How NOT to have a disk recognized by grub?

Fri May 20 18:09:32 UTC 2005
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Doesn't *every* fedora/redhat/centos installed drive have the
> same label name, guaranteed to be confused any time you move
> one to another drive position in a similar machine?

Yes, for file systems on regular partitions.  File systems on software
RAID or LVM partitions do not have labels (however, those have its own
share of problems that need to be delt with from rescue mode when moving
drives between systems).

In a nutshell.  Either prepare disks to be moved while they are still in
the old system.  Or boot straight into rescue mode (and chose "do not
look for my OS installations") after the disks are moved.  No way around it.