[CentOS] Re: Hi, Bryan; was: Re: pronunciation? <snip> --

Sun May 22 02:28:57 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 20:58 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> From:  Dag Wieers
> > Sorry to interrupt but he was describing how you appeared in previous
> > postings. And I have to say that I felt the same way reading some of
> your postings.
>
> Really?  Then I'll re-read them since there's been a second confirmation.
>
> Just know that I wasn't trying to make it about good/bad.
> I'm just trying to make the point that companies aren't just evil/greedy,
> and sometimes your friend can be your worse enemy (even SCO knows that one ;-).
>
> > Maybe it's best to move these topics to another channel.
>
> I just wish people didn't feel the need to make comments about Red Hat and SCO.

The SCO that exists currently ... the one that is suing IBM right now,
in the lawsuit as it currently exists, is an enemy to all Linux, IBM and
Red Hat customers.  That is absolutely clear.  I would call them a bad
company.  Were they always that, no.  Did IBM screw some people in the
past, yes.  Will they again in the future, probably.  Same is true for
Sun, Red Hat, Novell, SuSE, Mandr(ake/riva), etc.

Red Hat made a business decision that left many people out in the cold
(the RHL / RHEL line decision) ... CentOS fills that gap.  Some CentOS
users are very upset with Red Hat because of that decision.  That does
not make them shallow, they have the right to their opinion. It also
does not change the fact that Red Hat is also the best when it comes to
distributing their source code (of all the major enterprise providers).

I personally don't have a problem with the Red Hat business decision ...
but I understand why some people do.

Fedora Core just doesn't do it for me ... if it works for you, great.
There is nothing wrong with FC, it just doesn't have the lifetime
support I am looking for.

CentOS, on the other hand, has exactly the options I am looking for.  A
vibrant community that actively answers questions via IRC, forums and
active mailing lists.  It is available for free (though donations SHOULD
be made ... especially if you are using CentOS to make money), has rapid
security updates, and it has a long lifetime.  So, this is while you
will find me for quite some time.