[CentOS] Microphone problems with Skype

Tue May 24 02:50:37 UTC 2005
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

Angelo Machils wrote:

>> I have CentOS4 and this soundcard:
>> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
>> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
>>
>> I installed the Skype rpm for Fedora3 and it works but the quality of
>> my voice is very poor: volume is low and the voice sound doesn't have
>> the high frequencies.
>>
>> Did any of you made Skype work perfectly under CentOS4? How?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adrian
>>

> Hi there!
>
> I have the same card:
> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60) and it works without
> problems on Skype (also the FC3 RPM).

I noticed that you said card. Is yours an addon? Also, what is the
chipset of your mb? (not the sound, the north bridge)

My C-Media is onboard but I have a VIA chipset for the rest (PCI, USB
...) and I cannot get a Miro DC10+ to work for the driver writer
blacklisted the VIA chipset because it had latency problems.

I suspect that this is the cause of the low volume I get with my onboard
c-media chip and also of an addon Creative sound card that had no
problems what so ever in another PC (not a VIA-based board) running the
same version of Linux.