[CentOS] Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Tue May 24 16:04:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 14:15 +0800, Feizhou wrote:
<snip>

> So it looks like
> I will have to move to CentOS 4 for the said 30 and more machines.

Please do :)

> Either way, tweaking is needed so I don't see the point of staying on
> CentOS 4. The kernel needs to be recompiled for XFS support and that
> means a recompile for every errata kernel release. ext3 + dir_index
> support is still too heavy although I don't relish a crash on XFS either.

The kernel in the centosplus repo has XFS, NTFS, ReiserFS, JFS
support ... the tools for XFS, JFS, ReiserFS are also in the centosplus
repo.  These will be maintained.

> > Except that it still isn't fixed now that it easily could be.  If
> > you want CIPE in Fedora >1 or Centos 4, you have to recompile
> > the kernel to make it work.  OpenVPN is probably better these days
> > but that's not included either and unlike a lot of other packages,
> > for this one you have to coordinate any changes across locations.

What needs to be enabled in the kernel for CIPE to work.  Maybe I
already did it .. or can do it on the next version of te kernel in the
centosplus repo.