[CentOS] Re: Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Thu May 26 19:49:08 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> Thanks - as you probably know, the long-winded discussion isn't
> really about CIPE specifically so much as the philosophy behind
> bundling a few thousand things together and then trying to
> please anyone with a blanket policy about maintaining backwards
> compatibility vs bug fixes vs new features.

You just can't please everyone.

But it does help if people focus on "why" something is done -- the
pros/cons versus doing something else -- instead of trying to assert
what is "better" (as well as stopping to listen to someone and realize
they are not asserting anything as "better," just trying to explain
"why").

CentOS is based on RHEL.  RHEL has its policies.

> And while I realize that there may never be a good solution, I'll be
> really happy if some new options fall out of it, like this being
> included in a centos kernel-unsupported-something-or-other package.

I think CentOS is optionally filling that gap between FC and RHEL
quite well for those that want it.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org