[CentOS] Re: Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Sat May 28 01:29:13 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 20:13 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> What is 'correct' behavior?  Doesn't correctness depend upon the customer?  Is
> it possible that CentOS (and RHEL by extension) is Not For Everybody, but
> targeted to a particular set of customers?

Apparently when I say this, that RHEL/SLES has a different focus than
just about any other distro out there, other people seem to hear it as
I'm saying it's "better" (which I'm not).

I'm glad you actually heard what I actually said.

> Linus != Red Hat.  This is a Linus issue; not a Red Hat issue.  Thus the
> subject line.  You can't blame Red Hat for something Linus caused.

But he's blaming Red Hat for adopting kernel 2.6 "too early," whatever
that means.  Apparently he thinks that Red Hat should have held off on
kernel 2.6 in Fedora until over a year after release and when CIPE was
working, which would have pushed back RHEL4 until later this year as a
result.

> Red Hat needed the features from 2.6 for other things; Red Hat needed to get
> on the 2.6 bandwagon for marketing purposes, too; CIPE's author was reticent
> to make his software work with a kernel version that had been out for a long
> time;  Red Hat had no choice but to drop CIPE.  If CIPE wants in, CIPE has to
> play the game, too.

It's a chicken-egg issue.  You want to adopt newer items when it has
been broadly tested and accommodated, but you typically don't get
broadly tested and accommodated until you adopt it.

The 6-6-6 model seems to be the best balance of this that I've ever
seen, and Novell-SuSE seems to agree.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->