[CentOS] Re: centos] Kickstart from FTP or USB

Sat May 28 11:16:13 UTC 2005
Vladan Nikolic <vladan at nikolic.homeip.net>

>Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
>>Yes.  DHCP is the successor to BOOTP that offers a superset of its
>>functionality.  But in the original BOOTP functionality, you would pass
>>the filename the BOOTP client would retrieve from a TFTP server so it
>>could boot.  The file was then booted.
>>
>>This is how we have been installing workstations/servers in the UNIX
>>world for 2+ _decades_ -- BOOTP+TFTP (plus, typically, an NFS mount).
>>The PC only adopted it in more recent years.
>>
>>E.g., Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS) sets up the same
>>thing (although uses a SMB mount after the BOOTP+TFTP).
>>

>Thanks.
>
>So I guess I should take this as:-
>
> No, it is not possible just to put the ks file onto an FTP server along
>with the install file.  I have to have a proper DHCP server and TFTP.

Nope, it's not true. I have ftp server, and in root directory I have all ks files for my servers. It is the same ftp server that servers as repository for ks instalations (every distribution has it's own subfolder). All i have to do is boot server from instalation CD, on boot prompt enter:

linux ..ks=ftp://192.168.10.10/ks.cfg ....

and in ks.cfg there is something like (i type this from head, search for exact line):

url ftp://192.168.10.10/distrib1

and that's it