[CentOS] Re: CentOS and SL, together?

Sun May 29 06:00:53 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

From: Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com>
> It's just too bad that there is really nothing on offer for these
> former customers. Please don't suggest Fedora. The customers who are
> complaining the loudest are not interested in experimental versions.

To me, the quality of Fedora Core is no better or no less than Red Hat Linux
before it.  One thing I _do_ find is that people are making claims on Red Hat
Linux that were _never_ true.

SLAs were _never_ offered, except on Red Hat Linux 6.2 "E".
Support was virtually never offered as standard beyond installation.
Yes, there were and still are professional services, but they are
typically more for development anyway (which includes Fedora).

Updates were typically cut off for all releases except the last .2 once
the next series came out.  This all changed in the version 7 series,
because companies and users started demanding it.

But after the version 7 series, 2 years before Fedora, Red Hat switched
back to no more updates beyond one year.

So as far as "abadonment," I never saw anything Red Hat did above
and beyond as unofficial charity.  And I rather tire of claims that Red Hat
did this or did that on Red Hat Linux when they _never_ did.

Which is why I scratch my head.  Especially when you compare what
people want and the fact that there's virtually no other company that
offers it.  Even SuSE doesn't make it's 2 year guarantees, and they
are yanking support on SuSE Linux 7.

It's almost like there is this Red Hat Linux product that existed like
a myth, a word-of-mouth fairy tale.  And that's what just makes me
roll my eyes.

At the same time, people still complain about the GLibC 2.0 change,
the GCC 2.96/3.0 change, the NPTL change, etc...  It's like even the
critics sometimes contradict themselves -- much like I also see done
with Microsoft as well.

It's not that Red Hat doesn't have its issues or focus.  It's just that
people need to focus on those details that are actual issues, and not
invent things.  Like this Red Hat Linux product I never knew existed.

;->

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org