[CentOS] Multiple sound cards

Mon May 30 16:45:01 UTC 2005
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca>

Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Afternoon,
>
>   I recently upgraded a machine to CentOS 4.0 and it
> has two sound cards: built-in VIA, Cmedia PCI card.
> The OS recognizes both and I can use the tool,
> system-config-soundcard to test them. However, I
> can't seem to get any sound out of the VIA card, but
> the Cmedia plays the test sound just fine. The problem
> is that I can't get any sound apps to use the Cmedia
> card, particularly xmms. Any hints or helpful comments?

I'd guess xmms (and other apps) are simply attempting to use the first
configured sound card.  If you can't specify different output device in
your applications, maybe you can try playing with /etc/modprobe.conf to
switch the order of the cards.  Editing alias lines and swapping
snd-card-0 and snd-card-1, and rebooting should do the trick.

It will not make VIA card work, but at least Cmedia will be the primary
sound card (and used by all apps by default).