[CentOS] Re: Newbie Query about Centos: where it is going...

Mon May 30 20:13:14 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

> Realistically, one of the big reasons that support is dropped for
> anything it that the company providing it has gone out of business
> and where money is involved they will be bankrupt and your lawsuit
> will be futile.  Sometimes it is just best to have a plan to switch
> to an alternative if your first choice becomes unavailable.

Yes.  Exit plans play a major roll in mitigating the risk of rolling out
a solution.  Never, ever assume a vendor will continue a product.

Especially products that are not GPL or GPL compatible.  Vendors
virtually never offer a way out of any lock-in.  Not my words but
Gartner's.

Bryan J. Smith                   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
Beware of those who define their preferences in terms of
hate of another option, than on the merits of their choice