[CentOS] proxying rsync through http

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Tue Nov 1 12:38:21 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I'm trying to get rsync to proxy through an apache httpd server to an
rsync server.

On the proxy, which has a direct connection to the internet, I've stopped
the firewall and unset HTTP_PROXY and RSYNC_PROXY.  I've configured the
httpd to allow proxy requests as follows:

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>#
ProxyRequests On

<Proxy *>
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from .mydomain.ie

# Enable/disable the handling of HTTP/1.1 "Via:" headers.
# ("Full" adds the server version; "Block" removes all outgoing Via:
# Set to one of: Off | On | Full | Block
ProxyVia On

AllowCONNECT  443 563 873

i've tested rsync going direct to the rsync server and it works.

On the client, which is on a private network, I've stopped the firewall
and I've set

When I try to rsync to the external rsync server I get the following

    rsync: getaddrinfo: http //oldtraf: Servname not supported
              for ai_socktype
    rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(94)

Any ideas what I'm missing

Tony Molloy.