[CentOS] firewall dilemma

JC hiep at ee.ucr.edu
Wed Nov 2 14:53:54 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I have this problem that I'm not sure what's the best solution for it.  I
need your input & help...

I have an internal network behind a hardware firewall.  All traffics go
thru. the firewall.  One of the firewall's rules is that it doesn't allow
internal network accesses internal resources that travels outside then
come back.  In the other words, it drops all packets originate from inside
the network that travels outside and then come back to access internal

For example: I have web server (used internal ip behind the
firewall, internal network can access this web server with, but they can't access http://www.mydomain.com.  Assume
that I have static IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) maps to and dns record
www.mydomain.com points to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

What I want is to allow users inside the network be able to access
http://www.mydomain.com instead of

Here is my question:
should I change the rule of the firewall?  If so, is there a security

Is there any other solution for this?

By the way, I don't have an internal DNS, I use my ISP DNS service.

Thank you so much for your help,