[CentOS] Putting nat routing into place permanently? -- /etc/rc.d/rc.local v. /etc/init.d/custom scripts

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 3 16:08:13 UTC 2005

Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org> wrote:
> Check the archives,
> a post was mde saying that it was explicitly not the right
> way to do it in rc.local...

This is why I hate e-mail.  There's no tone so the slight
difference in phrase makes all the difference, and can be
taken entirely the wrong way.

There is a different between someone saying 'not right' and
someone saying 'It will work but it's not the "right" way'

I think everyone tipped-toe'd and did their best to avoid
saying it was 'not right', because that was not the focus of
the discussion.

I merely offered my experience on what Red Hat offers, what I
do and, just today, what things an /etc/init.d/ script offers
over just putting lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

I also added the fact that using some sort of version control
(RCS is simple, requires 0 setup, and it just works) is the
only way to guarantee things won't get changed without your
knowing.