[CentOS] Sendmail

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 6 00:44:13 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 19:22 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 00:37 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> >
> > Maybe I wasn't clear enough: You explicitly enabled the MSA with
> > authentication enforced and TLSMTA (SMTPS), so the MTA is disabled if
> > not explicitly instructed to run by a dedicated DAEMON_OPTIONS line. No,
> > that didn't change for a long time. To avoid a listener on an IPv6
> > enabled interface is a different matter. A the sendmail.mc in its
> > commented way shows, you can selective say whether to have an IPv4 MTA
> > listener or IPv6 one, or both. Btw. the default sendmail.mc shipping
> > with FreeBSD has those commented IP version splitted DAEMON_OPTIONS
> > definitions.
> >
> > More is explained in cf/README.
> Not sure I completely follow you Alexander.  Are you saying that by
> enabling the TSLMTA / SMTPS , that *disables* the normal mta daemon?
> I do however need the MSA, but in an unauthenticated mode, as my home
> ISP blocks port 25.  I was under the impression after reading the
> sendmail.mc that the MSA would be a non-authenticated operation.
> Perhaps I need to go back and re-read the sendmail.mc.  Yes, as I
> recall on 4.9 BSD, the choice between ipv4 and ipv6 were two separate
> options.. That is what is running on my mailserver now.  One other
> question while on the subject of mail, I believe I did a yum search
> for qpopper, or some other pop agent, and nothing shows up.  I did
> find the latest version of qpopper at the Qualcomm website, I believe.
> I assume there is no available pop agent in the base distribution of
> CentOS is there?
dovecot and cyrus-imapd are 2 imap/pop3 servers included in CentOS 4
distribution. Qpopper is neither distributed, maintained or updated as
part of CentOS. I would heavily recommend that you use dovecot or cyrus-
imapd (my preference is for cyrus-imapd but many believe dovecot is

You can have TLS/MTA and normal MTA on the same system, they must both
be specifically enabled as Alexander has suggested.

believed to be clean.