[CentOS] Sendmail

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Sun Nov 6 21:31:23 UTC 2005

Sam Drinkard wrote on Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:41:10 -0500:

> Really, it's rather dumb to
> me, that having a MTA that does not listen on port 25 out of the box.

It *does* listen there, just that it restricts itself to 127.0.0.1 ;-)
That's a security measure that most distributions introduced years ago.
F.i. I have been using Suse before CentOS and they do it the same. Suse
controls the sendmail.cf in their /etc/SuSEconfig/sendmail file where you
can specify to listen on external IP as well or to not touch the
sendmail.cf at all, etc. I don't know if Red Hat-based systems have
something similar, it's possible that you can put that configuration
option in the /etc/sysconfig/sendmail file as well (once you know the
syntax - is there documentation about all sysconfig options somewhere?).

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany