[CentOS] other repositories question

dan1

dan1 at edenpics.com
Sun Nov 6 23:14:19 UTC 2005

Hello.

I would like to know how other repositories than the official ones for
CentOS 4 affect an update of a package if a package is present in both
repositories.
Will yum install the package that it finds having the highest version number
? and if so, is there a mean to tell yum that we would like to keep the
preference to one repository instead of the highest version number on a
possibly other repository ?

I ask that because I realise that having multiple repositories added to yum
might mix up things if the packages placed there are compiled for newer
versions, and even possibly create another system than CentOS by updating
several main common packages. That would do something between a CentOS and a
cAos distribution, is that right ?

For example, I would like to use Dag Wieers' repos, but I am in fear that
some mix up might happen if there are several same packages with different
versions than the official CentOS ones (and is it possible to have same
packages there? ).

Thanks.

Regards,
Daniel