[CentOS] New Standard/Daylight time-change dates in rhel4u2 but not centos4.2?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Mon Nov 7 20:44:32 UTC 2005

Quoting s.davison at computer.org:

> Many thanks, that was basically the problem.  It
> wasn't Canadian time, but it was the wrong
> /etc/localtime.  I don't know where that
> /etc/localtime came from -- it's not the same
> as any of the files in the /usr/share/zoneinfo
> hierarchy.  But putting US/Eastern in there did
> the trick.

My guess is you had old version of tzdata package, that was updated to current
version sometime in the past.  Now, if you look which package owns
/etc/localtime and /usr/share/zoneinfo stuff, you get:

# rpm -qf /etc/localtime
# rpm -qf /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern

As far as I can see, tzdata package has no pre/postinstall scripts associated
with it.  That would mean /etc/localtime doesn't get updated when tzdata is
updated.  Unless I missed something, it's probably a bug in tzdata RPM