[CentOS] Re: OpenFiler (and back on-topic) -- WAS: Filers, filesystems, etc.

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 9 15:28:08 UTC 2005

Leonard Isham <leonard.isham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone considered or used OpenFiler?  It's based on CentOS.
> http://www.openfiler.com/

Damn that looks sweet!  I didn't even know about it!
CentOS 3-based.

I'm sure they haven't addressed failover and many other
concerns, and it's not an "all-in-one" like old SME Server
(fka E-Smith), but it's definitely a nice, entry-level
"Filer".

Screenshots to note ...

Network/host definitions and access control:
http://www.openfiler.com/screenshots/shots/general_local_networks_1.png
http://www.openfiler.com/screenshots/shots/shares_edit_share_3.png

Select directory service(s):
http://www.openfiler.com/screenshots/shots/accounts_authentication_2.png

Group and host access control:
http://www.openfiler.com/screenshots/shots/shares_edit_share_5.png

Quotas:
http://www.openfiler.com/screenshots/shots/quota_group_quota_2.png

I saw snapshots mentioned as well, which work quite well
under kernel 2.4 and LVM (i.e., CentOS 3).

All screen shots:
http://www.openfiler.com/screenshots/

FAQs -- General and Administration:
http://www.openfiler.com/docs/faq/openfiler-general-faq.html