[CentOS] centosplus kernel (XFS)

Dan Pritts

danno at internet2.edu
Wed Nov 9 19:46:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 10:39:20AM -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> My first move _before_ running any fsck on ReiserFS is to do
> a full dd of the slice.  Why?  Because 9 times out of 10, I'm
> going to lose the filesystem when I run reiser.fsck.

How current is this experience?

I hear from proponents that reiser admittedly had problems in
early days but they've cleaned up their act.

> The problem with XFS is the lack of support by the distro
> vendors.  I don't trust the stock kernel XFS implementation,
> and I don't trust vendors to include the proper user-space
> support.

Can you elaborate?  I thought that 2.6 kernels had merged the mainline
XFS stuff.  I can't find any discussion of problems on the XFS web site
and the "xfs/download/latest" area on oss.sgi.com has files dated 2003.

thanks

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile