[CentOS] Java support : is there a native package ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:04:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 13:45, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> > > Due to licensing issues, we can not distribute JRE rpms.
> >
> > Could you include the yum or up2date config already set up go
> > getting them via jpackage would "just work" with something
> > like:
> > yum install jre j2re-plugin
>
> Ther are currently no third party yum/up2date configs distributed with
> CentOS. That aside, even if you did do so it wouldn't do any good. There
> are some free (as in speech) packages on jpackage.org, but the jre stuff is
> not so it must be rebuilt. See http://www.jpackage.org/rebuilding.php for
> how/why.

OK, so you need a .spec file and a couple of lines of script.  The point
is that the hard and unnecessary part is finding all the stuff yourself
in the first place.  Instead of directions that point to distribution
agnostic and vague directions, why can't we have something that just
installs it for us?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com