[CentOS] Java support : is there a native package ?

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Nov 9 20:18:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 02:04:27PM -0600, Les Mikesell enlightened us:
> > > Could you include the yum or up2date config already set up go
> > > getting them via jpackage would "just work" with something
> > > like:
> > > yum install jre j2re-plugin
> >
> > Ther are currently no third party yum/up2date configs distributed with
> > CentOS. That aside, even if you did do so it wouldn't do any good. There
> > are some free (as in speech) packages on jpackage.org, but the jre stuff is
> > not so it must be rebuilt. See http://www.jpackage.org/rebuilding.php for
> > how/why.
>
> OK, so you need a .spec file and a couple of lines of script.  The point
> is that the hard and unnecessary part is finding all the stuff yourself
> in the first place.  Instead of directions that point to distribution
> agnostic and vague directions, why can't we have something that just
> installs it for us?

Because it's a distribution agnostic process?

Directions for CentOS:

1. Create an RPM build tree as per
   ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/hacks/rpmbuild-nonroot-1.0.tar.gz

2. Download java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.05-1jpp.nosrc.rpm from
   http://jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=3033

3. rpm -i java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.05-1jpp.nosrc.rpm

4. Download JDK 5.0 Update 5 from
   http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=jdk-1.5.0_05-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg

5. Put jdk-1_5_0_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin in your SOURCES directory created in
   step 1.

6. rpmbuild -ba SPECS/java-1.5.0-sun.spec

7. Install the resulting RPMS, or put them in your local yum repository.

I'm not trying to be a jack@$$ here, but I'm really not sure what you want.
I laid it out in 7 steps, and I'm not sure you could make it much shorter.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics