[OT] Re: [CentOS] Filers, filesystems, etc.

Karanbir Singh Mail-Lists at karan.org
Wed Nov 9 21:38:51 UTC 2005

Chris Mauritz wrote:
>>> I have had some contact with the company.  Frankly, I thought they
>>> were rather expensive when you consider what's under the hood.  I
>>> also wasn't too thrilled with their idea of service...."uh, if your
>>> system fails you can ship it back to us in the UK and we'll ship you
>>> another one."   But maybe they've gotten better.
>>>

>> you seem to be confused... openfiler is an open source distro built on
>> CentOS. hardly the kind of thing you would need to 'ship to the UK'
>>

> No, that was the result of an email exchange with Xinit which I found
> through the link section of the openfiler web site.  Sorry about the
> confusion.  I'll see if I can dig up the email.  It came from a fellow
> with an Indian name (I think), but I can't remember it off the top of my
> head.

Someone told you to send the openfiler distro back to the UK for fixing
if you had a problem ? I'd love to see that email :)

Anyway, OpenFiler is open source, you can download it and use it, the
support issues are exactly the same as any other open source project.

Xinit provides other addon's  ( like iscsi-target support ) and software
support contracts, as a commercial service - using OpenFiler in no way
forces the user to either buy or use this commercial service, but should
you need it - its there.

- K