[CentOS] Java support : is there a native package ?

Wed Nov 9 22:08:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 16:51 -0500, Ryan wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 15:09, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >

> >>It is a SUN issue that we can't build an easily installable RPM and also
> >>meet their licensing requirement.
> >

> > Does the license actually specify that a user has to click their
> > download link instead of running a script that uses wget or
> > something?  Obviously you can't include their code, but there
> > should be a way to reduce the many-step operation with instructions
> > that are likely to be out of date with one step that is kept
> > current.
> >
> > --
> >    Les Mikesell
> >      lesmikesell at gmail.com
> >

> It looks like you can distribute it now (this must have just changed)
>
> http://java.com/en/download/license.jsp
>
> "Sun grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license
> without fees to reproduce and distribute the Software, provided that (i)
> you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only bundled as
> part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Programs, (ii) the
> Programs add significant and primary functionality to the Software,
> (iii) you do not distribute additional software intended to replace any
> component(s) of the Software, (iv) you do not remove or alter any
> proprietary legends or notices contained in the Software, (v) you only
> distribute the Software subject to a license agreement that protects
> Sun's interests consistent with the terms contained in this Agreement,
> and (vi) you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from
> and against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts and/or
> expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any
> claim, lawsuit or action by any third party that arises or results from
> the use or distribution of any and all Programs and/or Software."

We can't distribute it in an RPM format that would take the source RPM
and install it in the normal way.  Because:

we do not meet section (ii) at all .... we have not written any programs
that add significant functionality to their product.

we would be altering the notices that are required reading prior to
installing the software, which would be in violation of section (iv).

The jpackage.org projects meet section (ii) and they still can't
redistribute the software via RPMS.
In their their FAQ:

Can't we get around the hassle of no source RPMs using mechanism foo?

        We have been discussing this quite a bit, and in the end it was
        determined that the "click-through" restrictions of things like
        the Sun JDK prevent anything but the no source RPM solution that
        is implemented. See the previous questions for a more detailed
        discussion.

For more info:
http://www.jpackage.org/faq.php

I wish we could, but we can't distribute that software.

---
Johnny Hughes