[CentOS] Restart after crash

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 02:42:53 UTC 2005

Syv Ritch <centos at 911networks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible do have fsck to run automatically [without
> operator intervention], if it was not a clean shutdown.

Yes.  If you look in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit on any Fedora-based
distro, you'll note the fsck/mount lines that are run that
basically inspects all filesystems before mounting
read/write.  You'll want to add "-y" in there as appropriate.

I don't recommend this as a standard though.

> Right now, somebody has to bring a monitor & keyboard and
> say Y, if not it will not run and verify the drive.

You could pump console to a serial port.  ;->
In fact, I'd highly recommend that instead.

> This is for remote headless servers.

Consider using a system solely for remote access (via SSH)
with a multi-port serial card so you can access any such
systems.  In fact, if such servers have Phoenix ServerBIOS
(or similar), you can seutp BIOS/CMOS setup access from the
serial port as well.

Syv Ritch <centos at 911networks.com> wrote:
> Q: If a system shutdown hard, even with journaling is it at
> all necessary to run e2fsck?
> Theodore Ts'o, the ext2 developer, said:
> It's best to just always run e2fsck. [...]

It should also be noted that attempting to mount an Ext3
filesystem will also flush the journal, if it was
inconsistent and needs to be flushed.

In the "good'ole days" (circa kernel 2.2 -- yes, Ext3 ran on
it ;-), this wasn't always the case with older
mount/e2fsprogs versions.  ;->