[CentOS] Unable to start Firefox/Mozilla after yum updates

slaton

slaton at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Nov 11 01:07:31 UTC 2005

Since installing the latest yum updates a couple of days ago, I'm unable
to start Firefox or Mozilla. Both fail silently with no messages printed
to console. This is a 32-bit dual Xeon box running Centos 4.2.

Here's what i've tried so far.

- uninstalled and reinstalled firefox and mozilla packages with yum.

- deleted my mozilla preferences (~/.mozilla) in case of a corrupted
profile.

- running as root. only difference is now mozilla segfaults instead of
failing silently.

- setting debug options in the firefox and mozilla startup scripts ("set
-x"). the debug output looks identical to another machine I have on which
firefox works, so this is no help.

- checked system logs.

Anyone with more knowledge of firefox/moz know what could cause a silent
failure like this? I can provide debug output if needed, but I didn't see
anything useful in it. Thanks.

slaton