[CentOS] kernel recompile help

Bogdan Nicolescu bo2k2 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 14:33:29 UTC 2005

--- Ryan <ryanag at zoominternet.net> wrote:

> Everytime I try to recompile a kernel, "make
> modules" always dies with
> the error:
>
> mv: cannot stat
> `include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h.tmp': No such file
> or
> directory
> make: *** [include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h] Error 1
>
> I installed the src RPM and kernel-devel ... any
> ideas as to what I
> could be doing wrong?
>
> Thanks!!

Same error here when trying to compile on a X86_64.

An additional problem which has been in the scripts at
least for the last 8 months is this one:

root at abcd:/usr/src/linux # make xconfig
HOSTCXX scripts/kconfig/qconf.o
HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/qconf
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

This one is due to a typo in one of the scripts -
exact  fix details on the web.

None of these problems come up when compiling stock kernel.