[CentOS] Java support : is there a native package ?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Sun Nov 13 04:50:01 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 15:09, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>

>>It is a SUN issue that we can't build an easily installable RPM and also
>>meet their licensing requirement.
>

> Does the license actually specify that a user has to click their
> download link instead of running a script that uses wget or
> something?  Obviously you can't include their code, but there
> should be a way to reduce the many-step operation with instructions
> that are likely to be out of date with one step that is kept
> current.

To download it, you must explicitly click "I agree with licensing terms"
(or something like that) on download page.  While it would be possible
to write a script that would automatically download it (leaving server
believe you clicked on "agree") and build a package, it would be illegal
to use resulting package (since you haven't really agreed with licensing
terms).  To download Java legally, you *must* manually download it,
going through all steps on Sun/IBM/Blackdown/Whatever web site.
Otherwise you are breaking the law, and Sun can sue your ass.