[CentOS] Rescan harddisk size without rebooting

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 15:07:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 07:58 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> A faster method is
>     sfdisk -l [/dev/xxxx]   # If no device specification, lists all
> and then
>     sfdisk -R /dev/xxx
> will load the disk parameters to the OS without reboot.

In both cases, assuming nothing on the disk is in use.  That's the
problem, you typically have to take down their PVs for LVM first.

> However, not being familiar with LVM, I don't know if this causes a
> problem or if you just then follow the other directions given by
> Aleksander.

LVM can rescan partitions.  The big problem here isn't LVM, it's the
fact that the kernel doesn't like to load low-level disk changes.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com