[CentOS] Problem with X...help please.

Barry Brimer barry.brimer at bigfoot.com
Tue Nov 15 14:56:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 01:19 -0800, Sanjay Arora wrote:

> I am using Centos updated till date. Last night I shut down the system
> and X was working fine...today morning I start X and it does not work
> for my normal user. X starts for root & other users. The error output
> seems totally incomprehensibe and scrolls away from the screen too
> quickly.
>
> The /var/log/Xorg.0.log seems to have only the subsequent success of
> login of other user or I can't seem to find the correct error in it.
>
> Only thing I did yesterday in addition to normal browsing & emailing &
> yum updation...was to install the Yahoo messenger for RH9...was said
> to be compatible with ES4 and it did work perfectly fine.
>
> How do I startx X for the user it is not starting for? or at least
> where do I find the errors to report. Only display 0 setup for X.
>
> Help a desperate man please !! ;-(((

I would check in your user's home directory for the presence of
any .x|.X files.  Compare to a working user's directory.  Make sure that
the ~/.Xauthority is owned by your user.  You could delete ~/.Xauthority
as well and force it to be recreated.  If you installed Yahoo messenger
from an rpm you might find out what scripts it runs by running rpm -q --
scripts <rpm name> and see if it modifies any files that seem suspicious
to you.

Hope this helps.

Barry