[CentOS] Beware - Yum 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade replaces named.conf

Michael Rock

mikerocks65 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 19:40:24 UTC 2005

You get so used to yum upgrades going so smoothly but
I learned the hard way to always make a thorough
inspection after a yum update.  I let yum go ahead and
upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6.  Afterwards I made some basic
queries to httpd, postfix and bind named (probably a
cached query). I even checked the /var/named/
directory and saw all my hosts files.

So looked like another smooth ride, well until today I
noticed my domains dropped off the net. Too bad I did
not check the bind gui or look at /etc/named.conf
after the yum update since it was replaced with a
generic version from 3.6.

Luckily I copied /etc/named.conf-rpmsave to named.conf
and I am back in business, well at least in 24 to 72
hours for the rest of the world :(