[CentOS] Beware - Yum 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade replaces named.conf

Tue Nov 15 21:40:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 13:31 -0800, Michael Rock wrote:
> Thanks Jim but you already established that in the
> links you posted.  I was asking him why he writes
> never never put both caching and bind on the same box.
>
> I posted my configuration below so it just seems like
> resource and expense overkill to setup a separate box
> just for DNS queries, rather than make use of the two
> bind servers.

I am trying really hard to explain it...

You have EITHER a real DNS server ... that will lookup all zones,
including ones it controls ... (ie it works for both controlled zones
and all the others, just like caching nameserver)

OR

You have caching-nameserver installed ... which means, you do not want
to control any zones, just have a local nameserver.

SO

You don't need caching-nameserver if you have a real nameserver
installed on a box.