[CentOS] Beware - Yum 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade replaces named.conf

Michael Rock mikerocks65 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 21:47:39 UTC 2005

I am sure I never specifically installed the caching
name server but a rpm -q caching-nameserver yields
version 7.3-3_EL3.

I usually just select the DNS option during the GUI
install and look to make sure bind is listed (perhaps
the caching name server is automatically checked).
There after I ended up editing the named.conf or used
webmin that in turn edited the named.conf.

So ultimately I some how ended up with a caching name
server I do not need.  So if I got this right

1. remove rpm -e caching-nameserver
2. copy my zones from named.conf-rpmsave to
named.custom
3. do not use webmin since it edits named.conf or
reconfigure it to edit named.custom

Should anything be specifically removed from
named.conf or named.custom having to do with the
caching name server?

Did I miss anything here?

Thanks guys.