[CentOS] Turning root partition into a RAID array **THEBACKGROUND**

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 17 03:44:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 07:53 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> I have successfully survived a hdd crash in raid1 since the system was
> set to boot up from second disk as well. We copied all partitions in
> disk one to disk two (including root) and then setup some grub magic.
> so that the second disk was also bootable. And this off a software
> raid.

Before I started using 3Ware, I had a Lilo script that did this on the
second drive with a redundant /boot[.1] filesystem.

Of course, it wasn't true failover.  I had to disable the other disk for
it to work, or the controller board had to fail so it didn't appear.

--
Bryan J. Smith   b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com