[CentOS] Custom kernel RPM/SRPM

Luis Alejandro Cazzola cazzola_luis at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Nov 17 12:44:54 UTC 2005

can you explain more in details the methos to do the sourcecode to then
compiling a custom kernel.
i get the kernel-2.6.9.22xxx.src.rpm from centos mirrors,
i'd installed
then edit spec (1 to build)
then rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 /path/to/spec ( i want to know whay i have
to do this if the only thing that i want its the source kernel)
OK, at this time my pc was compiling 10 hours ( i dont know what are
compiling and what for ?, i dont need any binary i need the kernel sources)
10 hours later i had a lot of rpm, one sources, same devel, an other , so i
only want the sources so i did:
rpm -ivh kernel-sourcecodexxxx.rpm , succesfully, but i dont get a
"usr/src/linux-xxx" folder, why? , instead i get a folder in
/usr/src/kernels/ with the number of the kernels sources ok, so i open this
folder and did:
mrproper , at the end its say that dont have the rule "xx"
and if i do : make help, the list of rules broke at the rpm-pkg rule, and
say the same : no rule "xx"
what means that?
somebody knows? or somebody have an explain method to do an correct kernel
compilation from the x.src.rpm package , i would like that explain what for
are each command and argument.
thanks,
i will wainting for some response.

lucho from argentina