[CentOS] Custom kernel RPM/SRPM

Hilliard, Jay Jay.Hilliard at disney.com
Thu Nov 17 17:17:06 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> As Jim pointed out, at this point, it's better:
>
> A)  to the "prep" (-bp)
> B)  change what you want directly in the ./BUILD/kernel-* dir
> C)  finish off the "build" (-bb)

I believe a -bb first removes ./BUILD/kernel-....
You can modify config files and such in the SOURCE directory, but the
./BUILD/kernel-* stuff get's removed and recreated when you do a build
(-bb) so any changes you make there will disappear.

I usually do a -bp, use the BUILD directory to create new patches and
such, put them in the SOURCES directory, add the patches to my SPEC
file, then do the rpmbuild -bb.  I always follow up with a (-bs) to
generate a new src.rpm for next time.

I currently have about 6 patches in the Enterprise kernel that are
absolutely necessary, else I couldn't use it, so I disagree with the
idea of "Don't do it"

-Jay