[CentOS] migration from redhat AS3/4

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 18:44:54 UTC 2005

On 11/17/05, Bassett, Mark <Mark.Bassett at owh.com> wrote:

> We have 30 or so boxes that are currently running either redhat as3 or as4
> and would like to migrate them to Centos 4.2.
>

> We have a local centos 4.2 repository using yam.  I have in the past updated
> es3 to as3 by removing the redhat-release rpm and installing the other
> redhat rpm.  I realize there are virtually no differences in es and as3,
> except for access to additional packages.  In any case, on the AS4 boxes
> would we be able to do the same thing?  Remove the redhat-release rpm and
> install the centos-release file then switch the yum repository and update?
> Or are we talking a reinstall?

For same version migration, yes. Replace redhat-release with
centos-release, install/configure yum, and yum update.

For going from AS3 to centos4, You're probably better off doing it via
anaconda's documented "undocumented" switch: upgradeany
Going from 3 to 4 is a rather big step, and while it CAN be done with
yum, you should expect pain if you try it that way. upgradeany from
the install cd, or remote pxe install is by far more painless.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT